Saturday, April 18, 2009

lofty idea

Loft living is interesting and not for the faint of heart.... especially when you have kids. Sure, you can do laps on your bicycle here but there is very little privacy... so.. we converted the huge storage room into our master bedroom and these are the doors that you enter into.

Looks nice eh? They are made from 100 year old lead glass and a grand way to enter the bedroom.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Except this is really the correct proportion and perspective.

See how tiny the opening is? And how the heck do we get up there?

For years the only way into the bedroom was via a ladder propped up against the wall and crawling in on all fours. Good thing I am used to climbing ladders and entering confined spaces. A bit tricky... especially when you're tired and it's in the middle of the night. Coming down is even dicier. As you can see there is no longer a ladder because ever since Jacob was old enough to walk he would make his way up the ladder lightning fast if my back was turned one second. I didn't feel the need to practice my medical skills at home... so, bye bye ladder.

Enter.... spiral staircase:

I love this staircase.... a bit safer but only 3 feet wide so you have to go up sideways. I still worry about Jacob going up there thus the industrial safety gate at the bottom.

Again, going down is dicey because it's steep and narrow. I have thought of putting a fireman's pole at the opening of the other 'entrance'. It would be a fast way to get down and I would be able to 'play' firefighter at home.

Except everyone coming over to visit would think I was a stripper.

No comments:

Post a Comment