Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter shmeester

Am I a bunny boiler if I say I am not into Easter or holidays for that matter? This weekend I kinda wish I was at work. I love working on holidays and will go as far as swinging shifts so that I can purposely work a holiday... traffic is light, people are especially grateful to see you at a call, and the guys are always in a festive mood. Perhaps it's for reasons like my own... I prefer to be with the guys than deal with all the crazy family holiday stuff which usually ends up being more stressful trying to be polite to relatives I don't like or who just plain creep me out. But at the firehall, my refuge and home away from home, be it Christmas, or Thanksgiving and even Halloween, it's nice to just hang out and cook a good meal and share banter without the pressure of having to be all smiley and nice. But I'm sure as the kids get older, holidays will be more fun for me. It's not that I am a total Grinch or Scrooge, I just feel that holidays are so commercial and materialistic and that just bugs me. But just to prove that once in awhile I do get into the spirit of things, here's a pic of last Halloween with Jacob and Maiya who was still a bump. See? I am wearing wings AND I am smiling.



Don't get me wrong, my intention is there... I bought the stuff to colour Easter eggs but I'm kinda nervous putting food dye into my son's hands... he's still a bit too young and as far as the egg hunt goes, he doesn't like chocolate. Jacob would rather eat cheese over chocolate but I can't exactly go around hiding that under my couch. Maiya is barely a new hatchling herself so she blissfully doesn't know what's going on.

I think the next time Easter rolls around and I am at the firehall I may just surprise the guys and hide chocolate eggs in the middle of the night. Oh the places I could hide them! They would think I was being a nerd but I know they would secretly love it. It would be cute to see the looks on their faces as they act all cool trying not to care but really vying to nab more treats than the guy next to them. I might even get them bunny ears but that might be pushing it.

Anyway, Happy Easter everyone! There. I said it.

No comments:

Post a Comment