Sunday, April 5, 2009

food for thought

There are some mornings when I just throw my arms up in the air and say 'I give'. Those are the mornings when my husband is already off to work, my kids have me up at 5:30 am, there are piles of laundry to fold, and the fridge is empty. The other morning I caved and gave Jacob a vanilla ice cream cone for breakfast. Hey, before you call me a bad mom, ice cream breakfast is good for everyone's morale.
On better mornings when I am feeling energetic I will make a batch of crepes. Jacob is my little helper.


He's still too small to crack the eggs but he's a terrific milk pourer and blender button pusher. To make a batch, crack 8 large eggs right into the blender, add a few inches of flour, lots of butter, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and fill to the top with milk. Blend. Let sit for 10 minutes. It should be the consistency of a runny milkshake. Pour onto hot well-buttered non-stick fry-pans. I do 2 pans at a time and flip when bubbly. Serve hot with real Canadian maple syrup... no fake stuff!!! (sorry Aunt Jemima). These are a hit at home and at the firehall except there I will make 3 or 4 batches and cook them on the griddle. And when the fireguys are feeling frisky, they'll buy different flavours of ice cream, chocolate sauce, mixed berries, whipping cream, and we'll all chow down to a crepe dinner...... So ice cream for my son's breakfast isn't so bad.

But because I care about the health of the guys in my life, Jacob, your ice cream was really mixed with plain yogurt, and fireguys, your crepes were made with flax seed oil and whole wheat flour.

Wait till you find out what's in my spaghetti sauce. ;)

2 comments:

  1. i love little helpers. baking is another kid friendly activity. i made brownie cupcakes and she helped me with everything including licking the bowl clean..lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmm chocolate brownies! I make those at the firehall for the boys. Dh hates brownies... weird I know... lol.... Jacob thinks chocolate is spicy because we lied to him once when we didn't want him to eat it and now he won't go near it... lol! more for me!

    ReplyDelete