Sunday, May 10, 2009

eat your heart out Hallmark

Sigh....... another day on the calendar invented by Hallmark. Kids get it... they make the best homemade cards. Fathers and husbands, I could save you five bucks and a trip to the corner store with some of your own homemade mother's day card ideas like: Happy Mother's Day ! You look great for not having showered in 3 days and not sleeping more than 4 hours in a row. Or how about: Happy Mother's Day! Don't worry... those skinny jeans in the back of your closet will fit you one day soon and I still love you even though you wear saggy track pants now. And: Happy Mother's Day! I don't miss your gourmet cooking from scratch one bit... Kraft Dinner and take-out pizza is just fine.

The concept of Mother's Day is noble but I pity the folk running around town trying to find the perfect bouquet of overpriced flowers or try and make a reservation for brunch. I think today should be Mother Theresa Day. She was one heck of a selfless Mother although she bore no children. Or today could be more aptly name Motherload Day for the cash that the florists and Bell long distance are raking in... Or Mother Tucker's Day... for those of you who know that restaurant, they make one heck of a buffet. But alas, it is Mother's Day. For me, so far it has been a day like any other with a 6 am wake up but what is extra special is that my husband isn't working today and we went to the pool to take Jacob swimming and we had lunch.... with Maiya not making a peep as usual so we could enjoy it. And now my husband is driving in circles around town to get our son, who would rather play all day, to nap. I am fortunate that I have a husband who is so hands-on with child-rearing. I don't know how I could manage without him. I will take the togetherness of our family today over any perfectly written Hallmark card or trip to the spa..... well... maybe a trip to the spa if I haven't showered in 3 days. And at that point it wouldn't be a gift... it would be a big hint.

But, kidding aside, I dedicate this day to all the single mothers out there doing a fantastic job raising your babies and to the children and to those whose mothers are no longer part of this realm. And to the caregivers who 'mother' my son so beautifully while he is in daycare. And of course to all the mothers simply enjoying motherhood. It is certainly one fantastic roller coaster ride that no Hallmark card can even begin put into words.

No comments:

Post a Comment