Thursday, June 4, 2009

teachers

One thing that I absolutely adore about my husband is that he takes everything that life hands him in stride. I have rarely seen him lose his temper. I am the mercurial one but as I am approaching forty I am finally learning that not every task needs to be attacked with urgency. Having children has been good for us. Some marriages get displaced with the non-stop work and life change of having children but it has made our marriage stronger and we have become a really great team. His dry sense of humour and the children's silliness helps keep it all together.

The children have slowed me down in a lot of ways... in good ways. I am learning to look at the world through Jacob's eyes where every walk outside is a moment of discovery. Maiya, as I type, is playing on the carpet trying to touch all the sunbeams that are around from the evening sun. I am learning to go with the flow as much as possible. On the fireground I have learned from the veteran firefighters (we're talking 20 years plus on the job) that even in a life of death situation, you still go about the task at hand steady and methodically. It is much quicker than running around willy nilly like a chicken with its head cut off. So being middle aged (is that what they call 40?) I am learning from the young and the older. And thankfully my husband's patience and steady demeanor is starting to finally rub off on me. He has seen the worst sides of me in the 8 years we've been together and loves me anyway. And I must remember this when he leaves his socks lying around and doesn't put his dishes away or forgets for the millionth time where he has placed his keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment