Monday, June 22, 2009

midnight son

I have mixed feelings about summer.

While I love the fact that I don't have to wrestle the children into winter clothing and parkas and boots, the heat gets to me. I do adore barefoot babies but I get cranky in the humidity and I am not one of those people who likes to lie out in the sun to catch a tan. Who has the time to do that anyway?

My daughter JUST went to sleep twenty minutes ago and Jacob is nodding off. With the longer days my children have adjusted their internal clocks and are staying up later with the sun.... which is fine I suppose except that I want to go to bed before they do. I miss those dark November nights when Jacob would be asleep by 7 pm. But the darkness and the cold is the trade off I guess. And it's a good one for me.... I don't like being a sweaty mess. Maiya is so wiggly these days and is liable to just slide out of my sweaty arms.

My girlfriend lives in Arviat, Nunavut... land of the midnight sun. She has some great photos in her blog. Without children, I could live there in a heartbeat. But I would be fit to be tied with Jacob running around till midnight because my boy does not sit still because the world is one giant place for him to explore. But man oh man I know he would have the time of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment