Tuesday, January 12, 2010

logistics

The logistics of being a mother and a firefighter takes a bit of pre-planning. Actually, it takes a LOT of pre-planning.

In a typical month, I work 7 or 8 days in total. While that might not seem a lot, each day consists of 24 hours. I work 2 days a week for 3 weeks and one day a week the last week.

My schedule looks like this with the start time being 7 am and ending 7 am the next day:

Week 1 work days:
Monday and Thursday

Week 2:
Friday and Sunday

Week 3:
Wednesday and Saturday

Week 4:
Tuesday

Then the cycle starts over again.

Like any work schedule, there are pros and cons. The pros are that I work 7 days a month. The cons are that they are long days. And it requires careful planning and shuttling of the kids. Until Maiya gets into daycare, she spends the night at my parents' home the night before I head into work. So today, I dropped her off in the afternoon, came home to pick up Jacob from daycare since my husband is working late into the evening. I will be up at 5:30 am to make it into work on time. And my husband will get Jacob to daycare by 7:45 am so that my husband can make it to work on time. So with today being Tuesday, and me going into work tomorrow, being Weds, I won't see Maiya until Thursday morning when I pick her up and I won't see Jacob until Thursday late afternoon when he is finished daycare. Then I do it all again when the next shift comes up. Our little family is a bit fragmented this way right now but the pro is that it is nice for Maiya to get lots of attention and my parent's great cooking while she stays there. She doesn't cry or bat an eye when I drop her off. It's like she is at the baby spa for how well she is taken care of. Jacob had the royal treatment as well when he was wee. I love the fact that they are really close with their grand parents... I never knew mine at all. Some people think it's odd that my daughter spends 4 nights of the week at my parents' but Chinese families raise children communally... you've heard the saying... 'it takes a village to raise a child'. I believe that. It benefits everyone and I do not claim or want to try to be a mother who is and does everything... that would equal burn out that's for sure.

It is nice to be home with just Jacob when Maiya is away... it feels less chaotic and Jacob and I can catch up with some much needed one on one time. I think it's important we have this. It's funny though.... he asks for Maiya and says he misses her when she isn't here yet he also loves not having to compete for attention with her. When Maiya gets into daycare it will a bit easier with the shuttling around but busier for my husband getting 2 kids ready in the morning and taking care of both at night while I'm still at work. If I'm lucky and can race home from work and walk through the door before 8 am then I can send the kids to daycare.

And then collapse on the couch for some sleep.

Phew... I'm exhausted just explaining all this. Off to bed for me... morning comes quick. G'night. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment