Tuesday, March 23, 2010

un-fire business?

Never in my career have I remembered work being so slow. I know I'm sounding like I'm complaining and perhaps I am. I still haven't seen a fire since I've been back at work and this white cloud thing is getting a bit dull. Don't get me wrong.... we've been busy at work... just not fire busy. For example, yesterday's shift we had a call shortly after 8 am, then nada until the evening when the sh*t show began. At 10 pm, 1 am, 3 am, and at 6:50 am we ran calls which normally would make me happy but they were all medical calls of my not so favourite kind. There's this virulent gastro-intestinal bug that's still going around that renders the patients a vomitty diarrheal mess. Not much we can do at these calls except hold a bowl under their face, and pray the patient can make it to the latrine in time. And not get splashed in the meantime. You take their vitals and wait for the paramedics to arrive and high tail it back to the firestation trying to get the smell out of your nostrils and hoping that the next call will involve flame and double hoping that no one has made a stew for dinner because after all those medical calls you want to eat nothing reminiscent of slop.

No comments:

Post a Comment