Wednesday, September 23, 2009

the journey

Some moms worry about losing their post pregnancy baby weight. Me, I was more worried about losing my mind.

Neat freakiness aside (that's a whole other issue that borders on OCD.... lol), I was more concerned about lack of time... and sleep of course. But ironically, having children has kept me sane. Apart from running into burning buildings, I am living a healthier and safer life because of the two little lives that depend on me at home. We eat nutritious whole foods because I won't keep any junk in the house. I no longer do high speed rappelling for fun, use my bicycle to commute through crazy downtown traffic(yep... I used to bike 1 1/2 hours each way to work), or party and imbibe the way I used to during my single days. And because time is always precious, I choose to spend it wisely. I have consciously decided to let some friends go by the wayside because their negativity would bring me down.... I do not have the time nor the energy to listen to whining and needless worrying and complaints about the past or a future that hasn't even happened yet. Having children has taught me how to live in the 'now' and enjoy every little hiccup and the ups and downs that come with motherhood. I am not perfect. There are days when I think I am going to lose my mind if I have to cook one more meal or pick up one more wayward sock, or break up one more fight over toys between the two children. And I look back with longing the ability to just pick up and go where ever the mood suits my husband and I. Our camping trips into the backwoods and trekking through Europe are on hold for awhile. But we have those memories. And we are creating new ones daily with our children. My journey with them continues to unfold. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment