Saturday, July 28, 2012

life in a cardboard box

We ran a call for an 'unconscious person'.  Turns out it was the homeless woman we see everyday wandering around the neighbourhood by our station.  Her hair is matted, her feet dirty and bare, and her skin covered in dirt and with what appears to be a combination of scabies and body lice.  And today, she was having a sleep on the boulevard in the afternoon sun.  A passerby thought she was dead which is why they called 911.  I am glad someone cared enough to call because in a city as big as this I am sure people, as they scurry about their daily business, casually step over 'unconscious' people with nary a second thought.  I am still in dismay as to why there are so many homeless people in a country as prosperous as ours.  I don't have the answers.  Except maybe it's  time to reflect on how most of our daily 'problems' are not problems at all.  If I am thirsty, I turn on the tap to get a glass of water.  If I am feeling grimey I head to the showers with a bar of soap for a scrub.  If I am feeling lonely, I have family and friends I can call 24/7 who will drop what they are doing and be there for me.  Who does this woman turn to for help?  Where does she go if she is hungry?  I have witnessed with my own eyes this woman getting mocked as she walks by and it's  incredibly painful to watch actually.  So even if I can't solve her problems, or the myriad of other world problems I'd love to fix with the wave of my arm, the best I can do is to keep her and others in my thoughts and send out some compassionate vibes and hope that they find their way.

peace and blessings.........

No comments:

Post a Comment