Friday, April 9, 2010

cleanliness is next to godliness

There's nothing I love more than a hot, hot bath except perhaps a hot, hot shower. It gets a little tricky when it comes to work though because a shower at work can be touch and go.

The night before I head into shift, I take a shower since this way I can just basically roll out of bed and head to work. I can get through the day still feeling quite fresh until we get a stinky call or we've been running around sweating or I've just finished a work-out. Summers of course are obviously worse. Then I am wanting/needing a shower by the late afternoon. (Or rather my crew is wanting/needing me to shower). But Murphy's law has it where soon as you start to get all sudsy and feel like belting out a few showtunes in the shower stall, inevitably the alarms go off and you have to figure out how to get your undies, shirt, pants, socks and boots on, get on the truck and wheels turning withing a minute and a half. (Yes, we are timed from when the alarm goes to when we leave the station... has to be under a minute and a half and we are supposed to arrive at the call within four minutes). It's even worse when I'm driving because I should be the first one on the truck to figure out the map and see where we're going and I have to radio that we're on the way. So, some days I just can't shower at work. Not so bad if I haven't been sweating.... uber bad if I have. Good thing I have many uniforms and just change into a fresh one. And at least now that I'm in a newer station I do have my own bathroom and shower. In the older stations I'd have to share with the guys and take turns. And even though I am no prude, that was always a bit weird. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever showered at those stations.... ewwwww, I know but what's a girl to do? Thank goodness for deodorant is all I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment