Saturday, July 3, 2010

my split personality

Besides the obvious that it is insane to run into a burning building when everyone else is running out, I think my choice to become a firefighter is a bit of an odd one. I normally hate, hate, hate driving and don't even own a car. I prefer any mode of transport to getting behind a wheel. I mooch my husband's pick up when I need to get to work. But for some reason when I get behind the wheel of a firetruck I just melt into the seat and get comfy and happy driving to calls. Maybe being the biggest vehicle on the road or getting to sound the air horn has something to do with it.

I am also a bit of a wimp. Ask my husband and my crewmates. I can't watch the news because most of it's bad. I can't sit through any type of movie that is horror related with ghosts, or vampires, or blood or guts. But I can run a call like no tomorrow even if there is puke, poo, or any other part of the body that is sticking out when it should be in.

I am also a loner and prefer to just hang out with my little family or just by myself on my days off. I will take a good book and a hot cup of tea to any party, social gathering, and beer. In contrast work is such a social place full of strong personalities where everything is done as a group. The only time I get alone time at work is when I am on the throne and even then I can get interrupted by an alarm call.

So for whatever reason here I am. Odd choice or not, I am a firefighter and there is nothing else in the world I would rather be. There is firefighter me, and at-home me. And come to think of it, I don't know anyone, besides me of course, who has witnessed my two different personas. And I kind of like it that way. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment