Tuesday, January 4, 2011

kajillionaire

Someone in my city just recently won 50 million dollars. As much as I think it would be neat to win the lottery, I find it hard to wrap my head around that enormous amount of cash. My husband thinks it would be amazing to win. But me, I'm not so sure. I think that amount would change who we are and the relationship we have with each other. Even though my husband loves his job, he would quit for sure. Me? I couldn't fathom quitting my job because it would be like cutting off an arm. The work I do as a firefighter is so fulfilling that I think I would feel lost without this purpose and drive. I love being a working person, making a life and living for my little family. It would certainly change the relationship with people around us. I can't imagine the people who would come out of the woodwork to get a piece of the pie. And at work, I think I would definitely be treated differently. And why would I want that when I've worked all these years to fit in?

I would worry that my children would turn into self-entitled Paris Hiltons. I shudder at the thought. But honestly, our lives are pretty happy and comfortable just as things are right now.

That being said, I do get in with the guys at work to buy tickets. 50 million divided by 10 crew mates would be fun, and still keep us all honest. The guys close enough to retirement could do so early, and people like me, well, sure a bigger home would be nice or a no-holds barred vacation once a year. And a bit of money to put aside for the kids' college fund. Oh, and a pair of Prada shoes might be nice as well. ;)

2 comments:

  1. WOW!

    As I was doing my run, this morning. I daydreamed about winning just a modest $10m. I thought, with that I could pay for my kids (and their kids) health insurance bills, car insurance bills, home insurance bills over their entire lifetime.

    And...buying a home for a friend..who is currently renting, and can't afford to buy.

    Just these two main thoughts running through my head. The future.

    'Twas a nice run..day dreamin'. :D Happy new year to you, and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Day dreaming is always fun. ;) For me, given the choice of winning the lottery I would love to win a thousand a week cash for life. That would keep me honest and it wouldn't change our lifestyle too much, which is a good thing. I want to continue to instill in my children that working for what you want and have is a good thing... that there is much satisfaction to be gained from personal goals. I have friends who came from very well-to-do families and sadly they aren't doing much of anything these days because they are just hanging out waiting to get some of their inheritance. It would be nice however to help those in need, provided they don't lose their self-worth from the dependency.

    Always good to hear from you Su ! Wish we could meet someday over a cup of tea! xo

    ReplyDelete