Saturday, March 6, 2010

not so black and white

Firefighters are categorized in the beginning of their careers as white or black clouds. Those soon-to-retire want to work with a white cloud because shifts are quiet with them on board. And the wheels of the truck may not turn at all. Black clouds however attract calls and chaos... multiple alarm fires, trauma calls, major rescues, you name it... a black cloud will keep your crew busy. I was a black cloud up until I had my children. I can't tell you how many fires and major accidents and medicals we attended. But it was hot, and sweaty, and dirty.... and I LOVED it. Now that I've been back at work for almost three months, I still have yet to see flame... which I find pretty unnerving since that is usually a signal that the storms are brewing. Perhaps it is the Big Gal upstairs way of keeping me safe but I'm a firefighter. Like a fish needs water, I need fire. Ok.. maybe not a big ass fire. But a medium ass one would be just fine by me. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment